it's been an odd (almost) week here in boulder. Shirley (MIL) may or may not be getting a pacemaker - today or tomorrow - it all depends on how things are seen by the doctors today. she seemed quite well at home earlier in the week and is animated and eating well at the hospital these last few days. they do have her on oxygen though so maybe that's part of the difference.
regardless, we've sort of spent the week hanging around boulder from one meal to the next. not an awful way to spend vacation time but certainly not activity filled like we typically manage. regardless, thought i'd make a list of the cool stuff we've seen since being here:
* several fluffy bunnies make their home right outside the entrance door to the hotel we're staying in and we see them every time we come or go
* there's a place called "rock out" on broadway that is what was once called a 'modern' house design - all curves and tubular looking - very different from the gingerbread victorians around it
* Mustard's Last Stand - cute name for a hot dog joint downtown - we didn't eat there, just keep seeing it and think it's cute
* dinner last night at the "Sushi Zenmai" in the tea room with Susan, Len, Annie, Bob and Dylan...the hostess was far too old to be wearing the mini-skirt and extremely low cut top she had on and we all joked that she must have shrunk it in the wash. we might have let it go had she not been so distainful when we walked in and requested a table for 7 and she commented "for SEVEN? and you're a WALK IN???" i let it go until she made the comment again and instructed me to make reservations next time...then i smiled and in my best SBT (southern belle in training) voice pointed out "oh, i'm so sorry. we're from atlanta so we really had NO idea."
* fluffy snow that turned to mush, then to icy slick and crunchy spots everywhere
* the hungry toad - great name for a pub/restaurant where we ate dinner near the hospital
* Burnt Toast - the breakfast place i wanted to try on Pennsylvania but which was closed until Jan. 4 (rats - and i was so craving a piece of burnt white bread and some bad coffee! giggle)
* Toss up for the best breakfast this week: Marie's Cafe, and accidental find with the hottest fastest food ever at good prices....Turleys where the multi-grain sour dough pancakes and fresh squeezed orange and carrot juice had us coming back for a second morning....The Walnut Cafe where we each had something killer (amaretto almond french toast for me with fresh fruit on the side....blueberry corn bread pancakes for bob....breakfast potatoes loaded with cheese, sour cream and salsa for dylan)
* massive icicles from the roof snowmelts on the back of businesses on the Pearl St. Mall - these could only be really seen from the upper levels of the parking garage across the street.
Bob's off at the hospital this morning so Dylan and I are killing time in the hotel...off to read for a bit.